How do angels differ from human beings?
1. Angels are not subject to redemption. Holy angels do not need to be redeemed, fallen angels cannot be redeemed.
2. Angels are not heirs of God. Jesus so identified himself with fallen men at the incarnation, Heb 2:9, that they become joint heirs with him through redemption, Rom 8:17.
3. Angels cannot testify to salvation. They do share in the joy of salvation, Lk 15:10, but they cannot personally testify to it, and more than a man who has never married can fully appreciate that relationship. Although choirs of angels love to sing God’s praise, Rev 5:11-12, forgiven sinners have a song which even angels cannot sing:
There’s a song for little children,
Above the bright, blue sky,
A song that will not weary,
Though sung continually;
A song which even angels
Can never, never sing,
They know not Christ as Saviour,
But worship him as King.
4. Angels are not indwelt by the Holy Spirit. There is nothing in Scripture to suggest that angels are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Indeed, the Holy Spirit performs a work which angels cannot, namely, making imperfect believers holy.
5. Angels do not marry or procreate, Mt 22:30. This indicates that the number of angels is constant. We presume that they do not need to eat, although Scripture does refer to ‘the food of angels’, Ps 78:25, cf Gen 18:1-2 1 Kings 19:5 (note also that after his resurrection Jesus ate with his disciples, Lk 24:42-43).
6. Angels exceed humans in their knowledge. See 2 Sam 14:20, cf. Mk 13:32. ‘Angels probably know things about us that we do not know about ourselves. And because they are ministering.spirits, they will always use this knowledge for our good and not for evil purposes. In a day when few man can be trusted with secret information, it is comforting to know that angels will no divulge their great knowledge to hurt us. Rather, they will use it for our good.’
7. Angels are more powerful than humans. See Ps 103:20 2 Thess 1:7 2 Pet 2:11. It took only one angel to slay the first born of Egypt in Moses; day, and only one to shut the lions’ mouths for Daniel. Their power will be dramatically manifested at the end of the age.
8. Angels worship now before the throne of God. Our prospect of this lies in the future.
Based on Graham, Angels: God’s Secret Agents, p38-46.