The authors of Mission-shaped church have some interesting practical thoughts on how churches can enhance the sense of identity within their different congregations by considering some of the following dynamices. The more these are in place, the stronger and healthier will be the sense that each congregation is a “church” in itself:
- Establish a planned and consistent divergence of worship style…
- Grow a dedicated and recognised leadership for each.
- Establish a particular mission focus for the differing congregations. This might be an age-related focus, or geographical responsibility, within a large parish, or by concern for a local social issue.
- Provide discrete pastoral care structures for each congregation, which are known by them.
- Deny and refuse all language that calls one of the congregations “the main congregation”.
- Create an overall team or group ministry in which each congregation has fair representation.