If the Christian church is to adhere to (or recover) God’s good plan for men and women, then its pastoral care and witness will need some clarification and strengthening in a number of areas.
For example, we need to ask, How can we more effectively
- witness to God’s good purposes in our own marriages and families?
- recognise the distinctive roles of husbands and wives?
- nurture young people who are capable of faithful covenant relationships?
- honour both married and single people in the family of the church?
- extend a welcome to everyone, even when we cannot affirm everyone’s lifestyle?
- develop an environment of grace and healing for those experiencing guilt, anger, resentment, uncertainty or loss?