Summarising this post by Tim Challies:-
- False teachers are man pleasers. They deal, not in what their hearers need to hear, but in what they want to hear. See Gal 1:10; 1 Thess 2:4.
- False teachers oppose God’s most faithful servants. So it was that false teachers dealt so brutally with our Lord himself.
- False teachers teach their own ideas, rather than God’s word. See Jer 14:14; 23:25; 29:9.
- False teachers neglect what is of greatest importance in order to focus on what is less important. They will stress lesser commandments over greater ones (Mt 23:23), and minor matters over essential truths.
- False teachers mask false doctrine with eloquent speech and impressive argumentation. They cover their poison with honey. See 1 Cor 2:1.
- False teachers are more concerned to win people over to their own opinions than to win them over to Christ and the gospel. See Mt 23:15.
- False teachers exploit their followers. They do not seek their good, but their goods: their loyalty, their admiration, their money. See 2 Pet 2:1.