What follows is closely based on this article by Gerado Alfaro. (But see note at the end*)
- helps us to know God better, and to enjoy eternal life. John 5:39; 17:3; 1 Tim. 4:16.
- helps us to love God as he wants to be loved. Matt. 22:37; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27; Deut. 6:5; 11:1.
- helps us obey God as he wants to be obeyed. Josh. 1; Ps. 1; John 7:17
- helps us to be faithful eyewitnesses. Acts 13:12
- helps us fight against sin. Rom. 6:17
- helps us grow up into maturity in wisdom and spirit. Prov. 1:2; Eph. 4:14
- helps us tell apart God’s commandments, worship, and doctrine from those of man. Matt. 15:9; 16:12; Col. 2:22
- help us understand our identity as the Church. Acts 2:42; 5:28; Rom 16:17
- is one of the means by which God edifies his Church. 1 Cor. 14:6, 26
- has been commanded by God to be preserved faithfully. 2 Thess. 2:15
- is needed to correct false doctrine. 1 Tim. 1:3
- helps us be consistent in our faith and behavior. James
- helps us in our own salvation and in the salvation of others. 1 Tim. 4:16
- identifies the good minister of Jesus. 1 Tim. 4:6
- helps us to know whether to Christ or not. 2 John 1:9
*The original author offers these as ‘reasons believers in Christ should study theology’. But since none of the biblical texts use the word ‘theology’, and many use the word ‘teaching’, I have used the latter.