A theology of animals? Yes, certainly. This may be outlined as follows:-
1. Animals share the status of creaturely existence with human beings.
2. They are valuable in God’s sight and give him praise.
3. They are designed to live in symbiotic harmony with humans – a situation changed only after the Fall.
4. They are embraced in God’s covenant to the extent that they are his companions.
5. Human beings are placed among the animals in a privileged position of power which must be responsibly exercised in accordance with God’s will.
6. The redeeming purposes of God extend to the entire created order of which animals form a part.
(after Andrew Linzey, A New Dictionary of Christian Ethics)