We do so when we:-
- represent him as a living person as distinct from an historical character.
- remind the hearers that he is present in the gathering.
- represent ourselves as his ambassadors bringing a message from him.
- press his claim upon the hearers.
- tell of his finished work and testify that his blood cleanses from all sin.
- preach Christ as a present deliverer from the power of sin.
- warn sinners that to reject him is to perish.
(George Goodman, 70 Lessons in Teaching and Preaching Christ, 15f)